Dulcolax Laxative Suppositories 10mg – 12 Suppositories
What are Dulcolax Laxative Suppositories
Dulcolax Twelve Plus Suppositories are used for the short-term relief of occasional constipation. Dulcolax Twelve Plus Suppositories contain bisacodyl which belongs to a group of medicines known as stimulant laxatives, which increase bowel movements. This medicine does not help with weight loss.
What is constipation?
Normal and regular bowel movement is important for most people. However, what is “normal and regular” varies from person to person. Some may have a bowel movement every day, others less often. Whatever it is like for you, it is best that your bowel movement has a regular pattern.
- Constipation is an occasional problem for some people; for others, it may happen more often
- It happens when the normal muscle actions in the bowel (large intestine) slow down. This can mean that the material is not easily eliminated from the body
The cause of constipation is often not known. It can be associated with:
- A sudden change in diet
- A diet with not enough fibre
- Not drinking enough fluids
- Loss of ‘tone’ of the bowel muscles in older people
- Medicines such as morphine or codeine
- Having to stay in bed for a long time
- Lack of exercise
How to use Dulcolax Laxative Suppositories
Always use this medicine exactly as described in this leaflet or as your doctor or pharmacist has told you. Check with your pharmacist if you are not sure
If this medicine is from your doctor or pharmacist, do exactly as they have told you. Otherwise, follow the instructions below. If you do not understand the instructions, or if you are not sure, ask your pharmacist or doctor
As with all laxatives, Dulcolax Twelve Plus Suppositories should not be used every day for more than 5 days. If you need laxatives every day, or if you have abdominal pain which does not go away, you should see your doctor
How to use the suppositories
The suppositories should only be used in your back passage.
- Take off the foil wrapping
- Lie on one side and pull your knees up towards your chest. Keep one leg drawn up more than the other
- Use your first finger (index finger) or middle finger to push in the suppository
- Gently push the suppository as far as possible into your back passage, pointed end first
- Once it is as far as it will go, push it side-ways to make sure it touches the wall of the bowel
- Lower your legs to a comfortable position whilst the suppository is retained in place
- Keep the suppository inside you for at least 30 minutes
If you feel the suppository might come out straight away:
- You may not have put it in high enough. Push it in as far as possible
- Try to keep it in for 30 minutes, even if you feel like you urgently need to go to the toilet. This is how long it takes to work
How much to use
Adults and children 12 years and over: Put one 10 mg suppository into the back passage for an immediate effect (they usually have a laxative effect within 10 to 30 minutes). Only use one suppository per day. This should not be used in children or adolescents under the age of 12 years
What do Dulcolax Laxative Suppositories contain
- Dulcolax Twelve Plus 10 mg Suppositories contain 10 mg of the active ingredient bisacodyl
- The suppositories are made from hard fat, which is an ingredient needed to mould the suppository into the correct shape
There are no reviews yet.